The Rock is Love: Livagies

Compliments are for the living...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Delly Baby, II

Last night, I'd had ENOUGH of my Delly overheating! It was one thing to cutely joke about keeping her on a fan - it was another thing when I found that this DID help somewhat and actually wore the fan out by overusing it that way. Um, apparently, upright cheap-o fans just aren't meant to be used that way ;) So, I IMed Sharif, and asked him what to do. As usual, he immediately had the answer! Heh - though I ought to be used to that by now, it just never ceases to fascinate me how he's able to just do that :D Anyway, he sent me to the following links on some site from Germany, and the programs I downloaded were just the answer!

SpeedSwitchXP

I8kfanGUI

Seriousely, those of you who have Dell Notebooks running Windows XP... Get those programs, fool around with them, and cool your CPUs the reasonable way. Here are the results! (The 08 is just some standard number, I guess. The 28 and 25 represent Delly's CPU temperature.)



This was last night, after a quick cool down session.



This was this morning, after Delly had been off for about 5 hours.

I've found that hybernating her, rather than shutting her off, keeps the two programs from the above links active and running from the second Windows reloads after being unhybernated. This means the CPU fan turns on almost immediately, which in my book, is a very awsome thing!

She tends to run at an average of about 40 degrees when I have a couple of applications running at the same time. She used to be somewhere around 60 degrees!

There is one more trick to this. It's not a big deal, normally, but I think it does help. It has to do with keeping good air-flow to the CPU fan. I used my USB Retractable Connector as a sort of barrier between Delly and a solid surface, in this case a drawing pad, so as to create room under her for air-flow. Between that, and keeping the AC on in my room, plus all this other stuff, Delly's doing just fine now ;D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home