The Rock is Love: Livagies

Compliments are for the living...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Dreamweaver baby, let's go out ;)

This is kinda my "tongue in cheek" response to "DreamWeaver baby, we need to talk" by Leslie Camacho. Heh - I have ZERO arguments with anything he wrote there! But, erm, well, after dealing with a bunch of junk from Frontpage (_vti_cnf files, and the lack of being able to connect to a server because there's no "Passive FTP" option, plus other nameless hassles), and after Dreamweaver seemlessly handled every issue like a real pro, hmm... I think Frontpage and I need to start seeing others, and in all truth, Dreamweaver's caught my eye ;)

I'd attempt to write a stylistic come-back to Les's excellent writing skills, but for one, I don't feel like trying to show him up, and for another, I'm just NOT in the mood. Sorry. If you want a good laugh, go read his article :)

Now, it's true that Frontpage DOES have some really cool features. It handles tables in a way that Dreamweaver can't hold a stick to. It also manages .CSS and Styles in a way that I personally prefer, though most people would say they like DW better for that. There is ONE feature that DW really NEEDS to improve on, which I was quite shocked that it stinks so badly with. You know that little color-picker tool, the eyedropper? In Frontpage you can go OUTSIDE THE PROGRAM and pick ANYTHING that's on any part of your screen! Um, Dreamweaver's color-picker just sticks within the program itself. It's not "mobile" or whatever. While it's true that Frontpage also leads DW in the whole database connectivity arena, well, it uses .asp and MS Acess, a concoction which sucks, big time, so I won't say much more about it than this: DW doesn't do databases at all, as far as actually creating and maintaining them is concerned.

So, Frontpage and I will still see eachother once inawhile, for old time's sake and to have a few colorful laughs, but really, I dig DreamWeaver's simplicity in server connectivity and file management. So, here's lookin at you, DW. Frontpage, you don't let the door hit your back end on the way out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home